My favourite experience was visiting Kruger National Park and doing a safari at Lion Sands Reserve.
There weren’t too many tourist attractions and everyone told us not to wander around, so there wasn’t much to do in the city itself.
- Red bus tour: surprisingly good overview of the city and great way to see the more dangerous bits of the city (namely the CBD)
- Nelson Mandela Square: nice shopping mall and good food
- Food: Trump’s Grillhouse and Che Argentine Grill for good steak, Bigmouth for good sushi and Tasha’s for burgers
- Victoria & Alfred Waterfront: harbour views, shopping and good food
- V&A Waterfront Watershed: souvenirs and gifts
- Neighbourgoods Market: good music and food markets
- ZEITZ: a contemporary art museum with great architecture, though the art wasn’t to my taste
- Lion’s Head: hike up for a panoramic view of the city
- Rent a car to drive down to:
- Kalk Bay: a quaint village with interesting antique shops
- Boulders Beach: a beach with penguins! (pro tip: it closes at 5pm so get there early)
- Food: Mozambik for seafood and great cocktails, Willoughby & Co for sushi and seafood, Den Anker for Belgian food and beer, Olympia Cafe for a quirky vibe and wholesome food (in Kalk Bay)
- Other tips: ignore the scammers on Long St who will ask you whether you have a “permit” to walk on the street